1. In successful marriages, two becomes one. It is not you and me, it is WE!
2. In successful marriages, couples talk about anything and everything. There are no sacred cows – no secrets.
3. In successful marriages, couples understand that you do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Successful love and marriage is about mutual love, respect, and understanding.
Advertisement: If you ever need any help with fixing your marriage, I would suggest you take a look at this video (opens in a new tab):
4. In successful marriages, couples understand that taking care of themselves in a health sense is not sufficient. You must also promote health in your spouse. To live until death do us part requires a mutual concern about good health.
5. In successful marriage, it is not YOUR money and MY money. It is OUR money.
6. In successful marriages, touching each other multiple times per day is the norm. When you touch your spouse you are acknowledging their presence and telling them, I love you so much I simply must touch you!
7. Successful marriages are full of variety and spice. They are exciting and rarely dull or boring. Successful marriages don’t always follow a path to predictability. They upend expectancies – they stir the pot. They laugh a lot. The notion that variety is the spice of life is their daily mantra.
The simple truth is this – those marriages that succeed are those that have accumulated over time a basket full of having done the simple things day in and day out in their relationship! A marriage that fails is, more often than not, characterized by the refusal of one or more of the two inhabiting the relationship to do the hard work of doing the simple things day in and day out.
Make no mistake about it, no successful marriage or loving relationship can expect to succeed if those who inhabit the relationship are not committed to doing the simple things that matter, day in and day out of their relationship. We know this to be true based on our nearly three decades of research on the topic.